Highlights for testosterone cypionate
- Testosterone cypionate injectable solution is available as a brand-name drug and a generic drug. Brand name: Depo-testosterone.
- Testosterone cypionate comes only in the form of an injectable solution given into your muscle. You can give this medication to yourself at home after your doctor shows you how.
- Testosterone cypionate is used to treat symptoms of hypogonadism in males. In this condition, males don’t produce enough of the sex hormone testosterone.
- Heart effects warning: There haven’t been any long-term studies done to know if testosterone replacement therapy in men has a negative effect on heart health. However, short-term studies have shown that this drug may increase your risk of a heart attack, stroke, or death.
- Liver problems warning: Using high doses of this drug for a long period of time can increase your risk of liver problems. These problems include liver cancer and hepatitis. These are serious conditions that can be life-threatening.
- Blood clots warning: This drug may raise your risk of developing blood clots in your lungs or the deep veins of your legs.
- Misuse warning: Testosterone can be misused. There is an increased risk if you take the drug at higher doses than your doctor prescribes, or if you use it along with other anabolic steroids. Misusing testosterone can lead to serious health problems. These problems include heart attack, heart failure, depression, and psychosis. Your doctor can tell you more about the risks of testosterone misuse.
What is testosterone cypionate?
Testosterone cypionate is a prescription drug. It comes as an injectable solution given into the muscle. Testosterone cypionate is a self-injectable drug. You can give this medication to yourself at home after your doctor shows you how to do so.
Testosterone cypionate is available as the brand-name drug Depo-Testosterone. It’s also available as a generic drug. Generic drugs usually cost less than the brand-name version. In some cases, they may not be available in every strength or form as the brand-name drug.
Testosterone cypionate is a controlled substance. This means it’s regulated by the government.
Why it’s used
Testosterone cypionate is used to treat symptoms of hypogonadism in males. In this condition, males don’t produce enough of the sex hormone testosterone.
Low testosterone levels in males can lead to mood changes, poor concentration, erectile dysfunction (trouble getting or keeping an erection), and low sex drive. It can also cause reduced growth of penis and testicles, gynecomastia (breast growth), loss of body hair and muscle mass, anemia, and osteoporosis.
There are two types of hypogonadism: primary and hypogonadotropic. This drug may be used to treat both.
- Primary hypogonadism occurs when the testicles can’t produce enough testosterone.
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism occurs when there is damage to parts of the brain (hypothalamus or pituitary gland) that tell the testicles to produce testosterone.
How it works
Testosterone cypionate belongs to a class of drugs called androgens. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions.
Testosterone cypionate works to treat hypogonadism in males by replacing the testosterone your body is unable to make.